The mission of the Semans Library is to provide materials and services that support the University of North Carolina School of the Arts’s educational, artistic, and performance objectives, and which serve the intellectual, informational, and cultural needs of the students, faculty, and staff of the School, as well as other members of the local community.
To accomplish this mission, the Semans Library has established the following goals:
- To select and acquire the materials or information, in whatever formats are deemed appropriate and useful, which support and enhance the educational and artistic programs of UNCSA.
- To select and acquire additional materials that will meet basic informational, recreational, or cultural needs of students, faculty, staff, and local community members, whether or not these materials are required to support the educational or artistic programs of UNCSA.
- To provide appropriate bibliographic control of all materials in the collection, and to strive to ensure equitable and efficient access to all Library materials and information resources.
- To provide access, insofar as economically and technically feasible, to available information sources not held in the Library’s collection.
- To assist patrons in accessing and using information resources and services, whether located in the Semans Library’s collection or elsewhere, by providing appropriate bibliographic instruction and reference services.
- To preserve, and where possible, improve the physical condition of the Library’s materials.
- To revise and adapt services and collections in response to changes in patron needs, educational requirements, artistic goals, technical capabilities, and other salient factors.
- To cooperate with other libraries, educational institutions, and local organizations in the provision of information, the fostering of creativity, and the advancement of knowledge.