The mission of the UNCSA Library is to provide materials and services that support the University of North Carolina School of the Arts’s educational, artistic, and performance objectives, and which serve the intellectual, informational, and cultural needs of the students, faculty, and staff of the School, as well as other members of the local community.
To accomplish this mission, the UNCSA Library has established the following goals:
- To select and acquire the materials or information, in whatever formats are deemed appropriate and useful, which support and enhance the educational and artistic programs of UNCSA.
- To select and acquire additional materials that will meet basic informational, recreational, or cultural needs of students, faculty, staff, and local community members, whether or not these materials are required to support the educational or artistic programs of UNCSA.
- To provide appropriate bibliographic control of all materials in the collection, and to strive to ensure equitable and efficient access to all Library materials and information resources.
- To provide access, insofar as economically and technically feasible, to available information sources not held in the Library’s collection.
- To assist patrons in accessing and using information resources and services, whether located in the UNCSA Library’s collection or elsewhere, by providing appropriate bibliographic instruction and reference services.
- To preserve, and where possible, improve the physical condition of the Library’s materials.
- To revise and adapt services and collections in response to changes in patron needs, educational requirements, artistic goals, technical capabilities, and other salient factors.
- To cooperate with other libraries, educational institutions, and local organizations in the provision of information, the fostering of creativity, and the advancement of knowledge.
Public Service Philosophy
Public Service Beyond User Expectations
We listen and respond to our users with empathy, respect, and flexible thinking about their needs.
We use expert knowledge of library and information resources worldwide to support creation, teaching, and learning.
We ensure the library is a positive, inclusive, welcoming space that has a user-focus, promotes ongoing library engagement and leads to academic and artistic success.